Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So, I have alot of time by myself at work for my mind to wander. This is always potentially dangerous. It was most decidedly the opposite today however. I was off by myself grumbling about how, being generally awesome at what I do, means that I get stuck with some extra work. Its important also to know too that I lived with with my In-Laws for a couple months before Tanya and I got married. And here is where the train of thought leaves the station...

How did I get stuck working my butt off, and staying an extra half hour? Don't they know that I want to spend the afternoon with Tanya? Ha! and maybe if we have time run over to see Kolbee(our nephew) while he is at "Grandma's." Little guy! we hardly ever see him anymore now that we live on the opposite end of town. How great was it being able to get back from work and having him there waiting to play cars, or ride bikes, or go for a golf cart ride. And Sunday afternoons! all the food and people coming over. . .

Into my head popped the Sunday afternoon when I spent most of the afternoon trying to get away from Tanya so I could ask her parents for permission to marry her. There was a brief flash to the day I bought the ring, being so nervous I would lose it or get stolen, that I actually started locking my truck, and proceeded to forget my keys in it, and had to call AAA. The box, and the ring inside of it, was stuck in my sock as Kolbee pulled "Grandma" into the barn for something. I saw my chance and darted in after them to show her, and get her blessing. She knew something was up as I produced the box. Her reaction wasn't what I expected. Her mother, ours, now, is fairly stoic, and I watched as she teared up and then spontaneously hugged me as Kolbee looked on, intuitively knowing something was different. Now her Dad was slightly different. He looked at me, as only a father of the girl you haven't yet married, can look. There was a shade of skepticism as he got up, to my silent motioning of him into the kitchen. As soon as the words spilled out, his demeanor changed too. He had the biggest grin I had seen on his face prior and immediately shook my hand. I remember all the emotions vividly, the nerves,(yes I actually got nervous), the joy and the sudden sense of family.

It was an awesome day, and two days later I would have a better one when to her surprise, I proposed. She had no idea I had the ring, or the permission to do so, though she knew it eventually was gonna happen. I have no idea why my thoughts went that direction, but I am so glad they did. When my thoughts track that way, thinking about the girl, so awesome to be the driving force behind the events of the previous paragraphs, is enough, even on a rough day, to put a smile on my face.

Oh, and that proposal? well, thats a story for another time...

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey! DO you still blog?? I thought I'd start back up again, woo.

Cynthia Anne said...

This made me cry, Tim. Now get back to writing more awesome posts! Maybe about your little cowboy...